Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

The final day of the road trip



Cole and I started the day by going to the New Mexico Museum of Space History.  I love anything that has to do with planes, helicopters, spacecraft, and space exploration.  It was a small museum but very interesting and we enjoyed it very much.  It did make me a little sad though.  Seeing all the exhibits and info about the past US space program, and all the amazing things that the US government and NASA did reminded me of how awesome our space program was. I remember watching launches on tv at school and seeing the news of the astronauts walking on the moon and how exciting it was.  Now we don’t have any real space program to speak of and we have to rely on the Russians to get into space. We hitch rides with the Russians, the people we beat in the space race, how embarrassing. Hell, now our government can’t even build a web site that works.





After  the space museum, I checked the map to see what the distance was from Alamogordo, NM to Frisco, TX and decided to drive all the way home.  The first highway we took out of Amamogordo was highway 82 and it went through the mountains and was very winding. It was on this section of road that I came as close to a head on collision as I ever have. As I was coming around a corner, a car decided to try and pass a pickup pulling a camper. Why they decided to try and pass on a blind corner I do not know, but it was way too close for comfort, I slammed on my brakes and they slammed on theirs and swerved violently back into their lane, almost clipping the backend of the camper in front of them.  I had nowhere to go since there was a steep cliff off to my right so if they hadn’t reacted as quickly as they did, it wouldn’t have been a good outcome. My heart was pounding for quite a few miles before it started to settle down.


The rest of the trip home was uneventful and we made it back earlier than I had thought we would. I had expected to arrive home around 1 AM but we made it back around 11:45.  I was pretty tired so after we brought everything into the house, I went straight to bed and had the best nights sleep I have had in days.
 
It feels good to be home but Cole and I really had a good time together on this road trip. I am really glad that we did it and I am already planning on the next trip he and I can take together. I think the next trip will need to be an international trip. Time for Cole to see some of the world.
This will be the last post for a while. I am going to keep the blog active though and as soon as I am off on another trip, I will blog about it. Until then, I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas, or happy Hanukkah, or whatever it is you celebrate this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment